Seal of Lower Saucon Township
3700 Old Philadelphia Pike / Bethlehem, Pa 18015 / 610-865-3291

Zoning - FAQs

I’m moving into the Township, do I need a permit?

Yes, you will need a “Move In” permit. The fee for a Move In permit is $5.00.

I’m renting or buying an existing dwelling, does the Township perform inspections?

No, the Township only performs inspections of new residential & commercial structures, additions or alterations.

I’ve heard the term “occupancy permit”, when would I need one of them?

Occupancy permits are issued for new residential or commercial structures, additions or alterations as well as home based and commercial businesses. The fee for an occupancy permit is $5.00.

What do I need to get a zoning / building permit for?

A general list includes: changes in use, tree removal, fences, retaining & decorative walls, decks, patios, sheds, pools, hot tubs, additions, alterations, new roof, driveway enlargements and resurfacing, excavation within the public right of way, modifications or repairs to on lot sewage systems.

I want to enlarge, overlay or alter my driveway (including installation of driveway posts or pillars), do I need a permit

Yes, you will need a Road Encroachment / Driveway permit.

What is the setback for a shed?

Sheds that are less than 250 square feet in size may be placed as close as 10 feet to a property line but may not be placed in an easement. Sheds that are greater than 250 square feet in size must comply with setbacks in your zoning district. Contact the Zoning Office to find out your setbacks.

What guidelines must I follow for fence installations?

Fences may be placed on a property line and may be no greater than 6 feet in height. Fences in the front yard are limited to 4 feet in height. Fences may not interfere with the flow of stormwater.

Do residential alarms need to be permitted or registered?

Yes, you need a permit for a residential alarm. Registration forms are available at the Lower Saucon Township Police Department.

Does the Township have a weed ordinance?

Yes, weeds may be no taller than 12 inches for a width of 25 feet from your property line. Intersections must be kept free and clear of obstructions as well.

How long does it take to process a zoning/building permit?

Typically a permit that does not involve review and approval under the Uniform Construction Code takes approximately 7 to 10 days to process.

What types of permits require review and approval under the Uniform Construction Code?

Please click here to see the answer.

What type of improvements require an Earth Disturbance / Grading Permit?

In general, any area greater than 1,000 square feet in size that is stripped of vegetation or ground cover requires a grading permit. This includes cutting or filling dirt, modifying or affecting overland stormwater flow, and installation of a dam, ditch, culvert, drainpipe, bridge, etc.

view in Lower Saucon Township
© 2017 Lower Saucon Township, 3700 Old Philadelphia Pike / Bethlehem, Pa 18015 / 610-865-3291