2011 Springtown Hill Road
Lower Saucon Township
2015 - 2016 Schedule:
The Compost Center will be closed on Friday, November 27, 2015 for the Thanksgiving holiday, and will reopen on Saturday, November 28, 2015 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. November 28 will be the last day the Compost Center will be open for 2015.
The Compost Center will also be open Saturdays in January 2016. The dates will be January 9, January 16, and January 23, 2016 for Christmas trees and brush. There will be no substiture days if the Compost Center is closed due to the weather.
New Hours of Operation:
Fridays: 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
Saturdays: 9:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Leaves - loose and in bags (brown paper only)
- Small brush - up to 4" in diameter (no longer than 6 ft.)
- Hedge trimmings, garden plant residue
- Christmas trees (without tinsel)
Items NOT Accepted:
- Tree stumps
- Commercial business materials
Compost Center Tips:
- You must be a Borough of Hellertown or Lower Saucon Township resident to drop off materials. ID Cards are required (see below).
- Do NOT leave material outside the gate of the Compost Center. Plastic or paper bags used to transport material must be taken home.
- Grass is NOT accepted. Recycle grass by using a mulching mower or cut your grass frequently and leave clippings on lawn. This does NOT create thatch and provides an excellent lawn fertilizer.
- Loading of mulch is available @ $10.00 per scoop (one scoop equals 1 cubic yard) - (CHECKS ONLY) payable to "Lower Saucon Township".
Municipal mulch is a natural, unprocessed material stored outside. As a result, it may contain allergens, poison ivy, termites and/or carpenter ants and foreign matter. Users should wear proper clothing and protection when handling the mulch. The Saucon Valley Compost Center makes no guarantee concerning the quality of the mulch, and assumes no liability for injury or property damages as a result of the loading, delivery and/or use of the mulch. Residents who use the mulch do so at thier own risk.
Mulch Loading Fee:
The fee for mulch loading will continue at $10.00 per scoop (1 scoop equals 1 cubic yard). Checks only, made payable to “Lower Saucon Township”, are accepted for payment of the mulch loading.
Compost Center ID Cards:
The laminated multi-year ID card will continue to be used at the Compost Center. Residents who need a new or replacement ID card can pick them up at the Borough or Township offices during regular business hours.
The ID cards should be displayed to the gate attendant when you visit the Compost Center. The card can be used by all members of the residence it is issued to. The Compost Center reserves the right to confirm the identification of the card holder if there is a suspicion that the card is being misused for non-resident or commercial purposes.
Landscaping contractors hired by a resident of Hellertown Borough or Lower Saucon Township may drop off brush/yard waste/leaves only with a signed invoice and/or the resident’s ID card.
Visitors to the Center are reminded that per Pennsylvania State Law all loaded trucks or trailers must be covered with a tarp when traveling on any public road and when dropping off or picking up materials at the compost center.
The Saucon Valley Compost Center is recruiting volunteers to assist with the future operation of the Center. Due to municipal funding limits, the operating days/hours of the Compost Center cannot be extended beyond the current schedule at this time. However, expanded schedules could be considered in the future if an adequate number of volunteers step forward to assist the facility staff. If you are interested in volunteering your time to help out at the Center, please contact the Township Manager at: firstname.lastname@example.org or the Borough Manager at: email@example.com. Training and equipment will be provided to all volunteers.