Saucon Rail Trail
Lower Saucon Township Portion
- The Lower Saucon Township portion of the trail (1.4 miles) runs south from the Saucon Creek Bridge (behind Neighbors) to the border with Upper Saucon Township, just south of Bingen Road.
- A map of the Saucon Rail Trail can be viewed here.
- The Lower Saucon Township portion of the trail is open daily from dawn to dusk.
- Permitted uses are walking, jogging, bicycling and cross-country skiing.
- Please follow the TRAIL ETIQUETTE when using the trail.
- The Reading Drive Trailhead is open daily from dawn to dusk with 20 parking spaces, a water fountain, toilet facilities, and a picnic area.
- There are trash receptacles at the Reading Drive Trailhead site and at the Meadows Road crossing gate.
- There are portable toilets at the Reading Drive Trailhead site. Restroom facilities are also available at the Upper Saucon Township Community Park, Hellertown Borough's Grist Mill and Water Street Park, and at the Southern Lehigh Living Memorial Park trailheads.
- Lower Saucon Township adopted a Geo-game Policy which regulates the placement of geocaches in Township parks and on the Township portion of the Saucon Rail Trail. The policy can be viewed here.
- For more information on the Saucon Rail Trail Markers please click here.
- In order to receive approval to hold an event on the Saucon Rail Trail, a
SAUCON RAIL TRAIL SPECIAL EVENT FORM must be submitted to the Saucon Rail Trail Oversight Commission.
Saucon Rail Trail Oversight Commission
With the adoption in September 2011 of an Intergovernmental Agreement of Cooperation between the four (4) municipalities who share the Saucon Rail Trail, the Rail Trail Advisory Committee, which guided the initial development of the northern section of the trail, will become the SAUCON RAIL TRAIL OVERSIGHT COMMISSION. The Commission, which will be comprised of two (2) members and one (1) alternate member from each of the communities, will continue to act in an advisory capacity to the municipal Supervisors and Councils to provide guidance and oversight regarding the construction, operation, maintenance and improvement of the Saucon Rail Trail.
Saucon Rail Trail Oversight Commission Representatives:
- Hellertown Borough: Steve LaBrake, James Hill, Phil Weber (Vice-President), Cathy Hartranft
- Lower Saucon Township: Dan Edelman, Rebecca Miller, Leslie Huhn
- Upper Saucon Township: Peter Jarrett, Diana Inglis (Secretary), Tom Beil, Joe Geib
- Coopersburg Borough: Rob VanIngen, Tim Paashaus, Ruth Poole
Rail Trail Oversight Commission meetings are held the 4th Monday of each month.
Click here for the current agenda.
2021 Meeting Dates starting at 6:00 p.m.
January 25, 2021 - Lower Saucon Township
February - No Meeting
March 22, 2021 - Hellertown Borough
April 26, 2021 - Coopersburg Borough
May - No Meeting
June 28, 2021 - Upper Saucon Township
July 2021 - No Meeting
August 23, 2021 - Lower Saucon Township
September 27, 2021 - Hellertown Borough
October 25, 2021 - Coopersburg Borough
November 22, 2021 - Upper Saucon Township
December 2021 - No Meeting
Click here http://sauconrailtrail.org/ to see the minutes.
Saucon Rail Trail Website
For more information on the Saucon Rail Trail, click here http://sauconrailtrail.org/.